Monday, March 10, 2014

Etsy VFGteam Featured Seller

Welcome to our VFG Blog series featuring members of the VFGteam at Etsy!

You will be introduced to a different Team member in each new post. Please check out our Team Gallery page here.

Today's featured seller is Marsha and you can visit her shop RanchQueenVintage here.

 
 
1. When did you first get interested in vintage fashion & why?

My love of vintage fashion evolved from being an avid home-sewer. This was in the late 1960s when vintage and re-purposed clothing was exploding as the trend favored by musicians and counter-culture types. I embraced the whole funky, flashy, indie aesthetic and tried to emulate it with my own home-sewn designs, using the leftover material from my mother's dress-making and reupholstering projects.

That influence, coupled with growing-up in Culver City, California - and having MGM Studios in my backyard - made my path to collecting vintage and later, costuming period films, sort of inevitable. In 1970, MGM auctioned off its costume and prop collection. I was still in high school and had no money, but went to the post-auction sale. I was able to purchase a period gown of indescribable beauty - but in less than stellar condition - for 50 cents(!) that I re-purposed for my Renaissance Fair costume. The day I spent rummaging through the dregs of MGM's costume department was the tipping point for me. I was hooked!

2. Do you regularly wear vintage?

Yes, daily! My uniform for decades has consisted of a vintage western shirt, overalls or jeans. In the summer it's a muu muu or Oaxacan dress. When I go out, it's my excuse to wear my vintage dresses, coats, shoes and jewelry. Even if I'm not wearing true vintage, it's at least gently used. Recycling is a lifestyle choice for me. Virtually all my belongings have had a prior life.

3. Do you have a Holy Grail?

Not really. But I do so love the hunt! I still get completely giddy when I find something fabulous and unexpected in a thrift store. It doesn't have to be a valuable piece to make my day.

4. If you could visit the atelier of any fashion designer (dead or alive), who would it be?

Adrian! Again, with the MGM iconography! I've always idolized him. I just love his aesthetic; it was so exaggerated and theatrical.

5. What do you see as the future of vintage?

At its core, I think of vintage fashion as street fashion. The past will always be a source of inspiration for young, creative types expressing individuality. Trying to imagine what will be extracted from the 2000s or this decade as iconic or collectible by future generations is beyond me!

6. What is your favorite item in your shop?
 

Here are a few more items from Marsha's shop: