Friday, December 07, 2012

Ruby Lane Featured Blog Seller - Lynne Marzilli - Marzilli Vintage

I am very pleased to introduce our 7th featured seller for the VFG Ruby Lane blog and here she is - Lynne Marzilli from Marzilli Vintage

1. What was your first vintage acquisition and where is it now?

It wasn't my first purchase, but when I was very young I found and "acquired" books of old fabric samples from my Grandparent's attic. My grandmother did fashion illustrations in New York City before moving to rural Maine, and for some reason she had these wonderful sample books from the 1930's. I still have a few of them, but I don't remember what happened to the rest.

2.  What was your favorite or best buy ever?

My favorite buy was a great group of late 18th and early 19th Century clothing from a Maine home. The pieces belonged to a famous and very wealthy family and included some great Empire dresses, shoes and other accessories. I wish I had them back!

3.  What was your most unusual buying experience?

It would have to be buying from a decades-long accumulation of thousands of pieces at a Maine summer theater. The collection was stored in a number of rooms in the basement of a 19th Century building on the campus of an old liberal arts college. It was partly the environment and partly the overwhelming amount of stuff that made it so unusual.

4.  If you had a time machine which decade or year would you
choose to go back to and bring back some clothing or jewelry ?

It would have to be either 1910-1920 or the 1920's. I particularly love the Orientalism of the teens and the Egyptian Revival and Russian influenced clothing and jewelry from the 20's.
5.  What are your favorite, most helpful reference
materials/sources?

I really love the Kyoto Museum Collection books for quick reference and of course I use the VFG label reference frequently. Old textile industry reference books and period magazines and fashion books are the most treasured resources for me.

6.  What item were you most tempted to keep that is available in
your shop right now?

Probably a black and gold Assuit shawl or a really wonderful Irish crochet jacket.

Exceptional Nine Foot Long 1920's Assuit Shawl - Gold On Black



Couture Quality Ca. 1920 Embellished Metallic Lace & Gold Lamé Gown