Monday, April 23, 2012

Etsy VFGteam Featured Seller

Welcome to our VFG Blog series featuring members of the VFGteam at Etsy!


You will be introduced to a different Team member in each new post. Please check out our Team Gallery page here.
Today's featured seller is Julia Creighton and you can visit her shop Stelma Designs here.

1. When did you first get interested in vintage fashion & why?

Although I started hunting for vintage and antique clothing in High School, it wasn't until College that I began to seriously dress in vintage, as it was the 80's and my fellow art department friends and I were into punk and new wave. It was the cool way to dress basically, not to mention affordable for a young student's budget. The goal was to dress as unique and shocking as we could and vintage fashions fit the bill there, mixed with contemporary clothes as well.

2. Do you regularly wear vintage?

Nowadays as a mom of two teenage girls, the vintage I wear is paired with jeans and Frye harness boots, so all my coats are vintage and lots of belts and bags. I don't go all out in 40s or 50s dresses paired with shoes and seamed stocking like I used to but they are still in my closet just in case. I mainly mix vintage with modern and if I get all gussied up, I do have at least a vintage handbag from my collection of many or maybe shoes or a cashmere sweater.

3. Do you have a Holy Grail?

Well, I am too all over the place for that, to be honest. I love it all and even if it is not something I can wear, it will go in my shop for someone else to own and enjoy. I will say I have a special love for vintage Hawaiian Mu'uMu'u. I have quite a collection now that I wear to my 14 year old daughter's Halau Hula dance events, to her chagrin, or should I say "high embarrassment", as she is not into vintage.....yet?

4. If you could visit the atelier of any fashion designer (dead or alive), who would it be?

Elsa Schiaparelli, what a character!

5. What do you see as the future of vintage?

Well, I see that a lot of the vintage going forward from say, now, will never last the test of time as it barely lasts the test of the washer & dryer. I mainly am speaking to the mass produced, not designer. I guess there will always be something to collect, so the future of vintage looks pretty good to me.

6. What is your favorite item in your shop?

A 1940s Vera Maxwell orange wool coat, but I would have to have the 1940s ankle strap peep toe shoes to go with it. Sadly I never can find vintage shoes to fit my big old size 10 feet, or these would be on them for sure!

Here are a few more items from Julia's shop:

Vintage 1940s Navy Peep Toe Platform Ankle Strap Sandals, Gold Cross Shoes

Antique 1930s Lace Bra, Tap Pant Set, Silk Satin, Knickers

1970s Givenchy Sport Qiana Knit Skirt, Sweater Set, Camel Tan Dress

1950s Fur Felt Hat, Sue Claire, Black and Bone White with Tassels