Monday, January 02, 2012

Etsy VFGteam Featured Seller

Happy New Year & welcome to our new VFG Blog series featuring members of the VFGteam at Etsy!

You will be introduced to a different Team member in each new post. Please check out our Team Gallery page here.
 
Today's featured seller is Josette Elstad and you can visit her shop JojosRetroandVintage here.


1. When did you first get interested in vintage fashion & why?

I started collecting and wearing vintage in 1984 as an inner city teen. At that time we used to go to the original Ragstock, which was just a warehouse with barrels of old clothes and racks of old dresses in pretty tough shape. As a punk, this was pure heaven - a mix of cheap, cool clothing that guaranteed individuality, and I had quite a collection! Later in college, I studied art, design and theater, which resulted in working as a freelance costume designer for local theaters, as a tailor and as a buyer for a costume/set production company.

After my second child, I decided to stay at home and found vintage selling online as a way to preserve my sense of self amidst the toddler toys. I currently rent a studio/storage, present at shows and have plans to open a small brick and mortar shop in the near future. I will be launching my own website this spring. I do all the work for my online shop including buying, cleaning, repairs, photography, makeup artistry, photo editing, writing copy, and shipping.

2. Do you regularly wear vintage?

Yes, I love to mix vintage with modern and am especially fond of funky 70s graphic polyester blouses with jeans and boots as daily wear. My nicer dresses are reserved for special occasions.

3. Do you have a Holy Grail?

I have a few pieces that I adore that are up for sale in my shop. If I ever find a beauty that fits my mature figure, its MINE! Probably the loveliest item I've ever had was a 1952 pink tulle, sweetheart neckline, rhinestone encrusted, halter dress (with original box) that I sold. It was to die for.
 
4. If you could visit the atelier of any fashion designer (dead or alive), who would it be?

House of Givenchy in the 50s and early 60s or Edith Head's workshop.

5. What do you see as the future of vintage?

Each season's trends use design elements of the past that spark new interest in vintage. It appears that with the increasing number of period piece shows like Mad Men and Pan Am and the country's affection for the Kennedy era, vintage may be in vogue for awhile. Although the runways may not always reflect the past, there will always be collectors, clothing history geeks, and youth subcultures that relish vintage clothing treasures.

6. What is your favorite item in your shop?

60s vintage black lace party dress / illusion neckline drop waist / xsmall to small, it is so delicate and feminine and the workmanship on it is very fine.


Here are a few more items from Josette's shop:


vintage 60s floral quilted jumpsuit by Jane Martin / petite xsmall to small

50s vintage sheer striped L'Aiglon dress / medium to large

80s vintage blue ruffled taffeta dress / rhinestoned big bow / small

60s vintage white chiffon formal by Mike Benet / white swan / xsmall